How do I choose a business name for my new startup?

Description of your first forum.
lyghtnyng

How do I choose a business name for my new startup?

Post by lyghtnyng »

I am planning on starting a new business as a Real Estate Broker. I have been a sales agent for several years and recently got my own brokers license.
I am debating if its best to just use my name or to create something more regional. I am not currently joining any other franchise. Just going out on my own. I will have one other agent starting with me immediately.
Would you use your real name or something like North County Realty Or Wild Horse Properties? Any comments appreciated.

rick
Site Admin

Re: How do I choose a business name for my new startup?

Post by rick »

I would suppose choosing a name for a real estate brokerage might depend on a few variables.You said you have been an agent for many years. Is your name well known in the area you are opening your brokerage? Or did yo move to a new area? IF your name is well known as a good agent, you may want to use a variation of your name in the company name. You didn't leave us your real name so I cant comment on that. But John Doe Real Estate Broker might help if you are already well known. But I cant think of any LARGE brokerages that are franchised or in many different cities that use a persons personal name. So I guess it might depend on your goals. If you are always planning on just being the best LOCAL agency, maybe your name is the way to give a personal feel to your business and to build good business relationship with your clients. But if your goal is to open offices in other towns and cities that don't know you, I would suggest something not so restricting. I know the following are used but think Realty World and RE/MAX . Either way put some good thought into it now. I wouldn't want to spend a lot of time and money promoting the wrong name and then have to change it later. Also make sure the name is not being used or TOO similar to another name being used in the business.